Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"We eat, we drink, we screw"-Rescue me

I´m on the couch watching Rescue me!

I can´t believe how exhausted I am after just 1 1/2 weeks back on the job. I guess I got used to crawling back into bed after the big kids left for school during my 8 month maternity leave. I also can hardly believe that I chose a profession which includes dealing with even more kids than I have at home. And yet there are still people who consider me sensible. One more thing I can´t believe. All good things come in 3´s, right?

I´m a highschool teacher. I teach 18 year olds marketing. I really enjoy my job in general. These are smart, funny, vibrant young people. They´re full of life, great ideas and creativity. Sounds too good to be true? - Not at all. They honestly are.

But...ah, you knew there was a but in there somewhere...they´re lazy!!!! Completely lazy. And this is the part I hate about my job. I told them to read chapter 9, the shortest chapter in the book. In class the next day three of them had read the chapter. I told the rest of them they BETTER read the text for class today and to answer the 3 questions on the bottom of the first page. Today- I got asked: "WHY do we NEED to BUY the book. What questions, where are they, which chapter?"

Mind you, these are (as I stated earlier) good kids from good homes. And that may actually be part of the problem. They´ve led easy, sheltered lives, had no mountains to climb. They drive mom´s Range Rover to school, dad does their laundry (got to be PC on the gender issues here) ;) They felt sorry for themselves having to read 50 pages in one week. That is... until they found out that I had 2 kids by the time I was 18 and still in highschool and I still managed to read chapter 9!!!

However that´s material for a whole other blog post.

See you later and please leave a comment so I know who´s checking in on my new blog adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment